Sunday, October 17, 2010

A White Person Driving Foreigners Around In A Taxi....The Irony!

For some reason there were a lot of languages spoken in my taxi tonight. I can only assume that whenever a passenger is speaking in another language that they are somehow insulting me or talking bad about me. What reason do I have for believing this? No reason, none at all. However, my paranoia became somewhat justified when I had to drive an asian couple to the west side (which might as well be another country, I have no idea where I'm going over there). Anyway, they start speaking whatever language it was they spoke (they looked Filipino), except that some words are easier to translate than others. Amid words I don't understand I can pick out 'University Bridge','Circle Drive', and 'shortcut?'. How dare you accuse me of not knowing where I'm going, I'm a goddamn taxi driver (I didn't know where I was going, but I did end up taking the fastest route). Tip: $0.00.

The second foreigners spoke German, the third foreigners spoke French. I don't speak French, but even I could tell that these guys can't speak French. Their accent sounded like they were chewing on pillows while bees were flying around their mouths. However, my most interesting foreigner of the night was an asian girl, at least she looked she looked asian. However, as soon as she started talking I was bombarded by the thickest Aussie accent I've ever heard. Laws of nature were broken here folks. Asians with Australian accents? Doesn't sound that crazy, but I was definitely caught off guard.

Now, I have nothing against foreigners. I wish our society had even more diversity than it already does. However, speaking in another language in my cab robs me of ones of the crucial things that gets me through my 12 hour shifts.....and that is creeping on other people's conversations. I may look like I'm paying attention to the road, but I'm listening to every word of your conversation that I'm not supposed to be a part of. It's like people-watching taken to the next level. Does that make me a creeper? Yes.

Later in the evening I got into a discussion with one of my passengers about bikers on the road, about why they suck and why it would be good to be one. We eventually got off the subject and he asked about myself. At this point I decided to point out to him that we had gone to elementary and high school together. Apparently he goes to the university as well. It took him two tries to remember my name. No, my name is not Jared. Yes, everyone used to call me Carson Daly. Tip: $5.00

Doesn't sound like an eventful night, but one of my better nights. This is kinda the reason why I have this job. My night was filled with random conversations with people about a variety of topics. Car mechanics, BHP Billiton, environmentalism, handjobs, death, conversion rates....there is really no subject that is off topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment