Sunday, December 12, 2010

My New BFF

So, tonight I met Bo, a 40ish year old man who went to watch the fights. We got to talking and eventually we get to Sports on Tap and he asks for my number so that I can pick him later (it's tough to get a cab at Sports on Tap late at night). So, I agreed. I give out my number a lot but I don't actually get called back often. Bo followed through, and I had to fight off some eager potential customers at the door. I said: 'No, this cab is for my friend'. People were angry. When Bo came out he yelled in excitement 'Yay my friend is here to pick me up!'. Ya, we're BFFs now, it's tight.

I've decided that my job is like GTA. I go on missions all night and for some reason a bridge is mysteriously closed. I am hereby accepting all blame for the Victoria Bridge being closed down. I have passed enough missions to access that portion of the map, so the bridge remains closed. I will work hard to pass as many missions as I can to get that bridge back open. Until then, I apologize for the inconvenience. I am also hoping that I get access to a helicopter at some point, which I will immediately crash because the controls are stupid.

It's not odd to get flagged down on Broadway, but when I see a guy running through snow in the median to get my attention I figure this guy really needs a cab. Turns out his buddy was a block away, drunk as all holy hell and trying to drive home. We sat there for a good 5-10 minutes while they tried to convince him. Me, being awesome, finally brought it to an end by offering to drive them for a flat rate of $10. This was a mighty generous offer as they were going to three stops in different areas of the city. They got in the cab and off we went. Fortunately there was a cool half-sober couple to keep me company so I didn't have to deal with the drunks. We went down 20th street to wave at the hookers but there were none. We then went up to the north where everyone stopped for a bathroom break and I declined their offer of them to buy me coffee. The girl in the couple goes to the University and we chatted it up about various things. Turns out she knows some girl I used to work with back in the day whom I stopped talking to for whatever reason. The whole thing was cool and I felt good about helping prevent someone from driving home drunk. They drunks ended chipping in $20 and the half-sober couple chipped in $25. Considering I spent an hour driving them all around the city this was still a pretty good deal for them, but $45 for an hour isn't the worst that I could do.

Terrible customers - they told me to change my music. How dare they? I was rocking some good tunes and they demanded a change to Wired 96. Bitches! One of them also tried hitting on me. She asked what my astrological sign was. I said 'cancer' but apparently she thought I told her to sit down and put her seatbelt on. I have an angry look on my face though, what do expect, I was rocking some Wise Blood and they shut me down.

More bad customers - He was married. She wasn't his wife. They demanded that I open the door for them. They called me grumpy. She rubbed up against me when exiting the cab. She passed out in front of my taxi. I drove away. No tip.

Decent customers - She biffed it in front on my cab. I let them smoke in the van. We talked about what it was like being a cabbie. They were alright.

More decent customers - They had the company charge account. We talked about cougars. They liked my music. $11 tip.

I brought my iPod to work for the first time due to my recently burned CDs not working. The battery lasts 7 hours which is decent and I still have enough CDs to get through the other 5 hours. It's great to have because I can easily let customers change the music to something they like, and I obviously something I still like because it;s on my iPod. However, customers sometimes like rifling through my CDs. One awesome customer not only knew who Edward Sharpe was, but loved that I had their CD. They rocked one song from them, and then switched to some Black Keys. They loved my music and naturally wanted my number so they could call me to pick them up later. I never heard from them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment