Saturday, October 1, 2011

Interesting People

Sometimes it's just nice to sit back and take a peak into other people's lives. I feel conflicted on the issue though. On one hand, I work 12 hours in a row, and that can suck...getting some interesting people in my cab can certainly make things a little more entertaining. However, I find that the more interesting people are usually terrible human beings. If I graphed this relationship, it would probably be y=x...a direct relationship of interestingness to terribleness.

For example, a woman and child I picked up at 2:30 AM at Sobey's. While I'm driving there I am wondering to myself: 'where do you have to be in life to go grocery shopping at 2:30 in the morning'. Sure, there's a possibility of some drunks wandering there and not wanting to walk further, but I've picked up legitimate people there at this time before. It ended up being a woman and child, and I later found out the father was in prison for another 4 years. The woman talked about the father and how she never regretted any of it. She had very fun times in the good ole' 'young offenders' days (her words, not mine). The kid actually seemed to be intelligent, I felt that the two spoke on the same intellectual level....which was not overly high. Still, they seemed like nice people and I enjoyed my little glimpse into their life.

....and then there's another couple. As I drove up to the house they were, they were making out on the lawn. Me, being a professional, I'm ready to turn the music up and ignore them as they make out the whole way back....but instead the woman starts talking the entire way, barely stops to take a breath. The guy, he's not really enjoying this. I can hear by his occasional laughs that he's not really paying attention but trying to be nice. Every once in a while he goes to give her a kiss (yes, I am a creeper)....I can't quite tell if it's because he wants some action, or because he's just trying to shut her up for one short second.

A lot of people get into my cab, and after they leave I am often left with the question: 'what do you have to do to end up with a pathetic life like that?' I raise this point because some 'people' got into my cab. I don't know how to explain much more than that....they were just gross. I don't want to be superficial because I'm not the best looking guy myself, but those girls were at least 100 lbs. too big to be wearing short-shorts like that. The guy with him, he was worried about the price of the cab that was going about 5 blocks (maybe if they walked a little more those shorts wouldn't look so gross on them). The fare was $8 and he gave me a $10 and told me to keep the rest as a tip....but before he left he made sure that the fare was actually $8. I guess if it was $7.75 he would've wanted some change. How do you get to that point? Oh ya, and they spent the whole trying to smoke, swearing at me, changing the radio station, swearing at eachother, telling me they were going to offer 'services' for cab fare.

I'm glad the end of my night got me some interesting. That way, when I go home afterwards, I feel like a Champion and a great person just for maintaining some level of competence and respectability.

Good God Saskatoon.....you are getting grosser by the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment