Sunday, November 27, 2011

What's The Worst That Could Happen?

For some reason, when I'm driving my cab I always have a certain anxiety. I'm always worried that I will somehow take the wrong route and cost my customer too much and they will call me on it. These people are crazy and potentially violent. I go out of my way to take the short route to save them money and they get angry thinking I am cheating them.

Well, tonight I actually fucked up and went the absolute worst path. My customer didn't say anything, and at the end I gave her a $5 discount and apologized. Fortunately, while a lot of people are assholes, some people are just pussies. When I call them a pussy, I mean to say that they are a gigantic vagina...too afraid to stand up for themselves and say anything. I'm glad that these gigantic vaginas are walking around out there, it brings a certain balance to the universe, and that makes me happy.

...but the whole incident got me thinking. Why worry, what's the worst that could happen? The old words 'the only thing we have to fear is fear itself' repeated itself in my head. It's like a scary movie. The scariest movies are the ones when you never see the monster. No matter how good of special effects you have, there is a never a scarier monster than the one you can't see. Your imagination will create something scarier than could ever be shown on screen.

So maybe, to get over our fears and anxieties, we need to stick our head and look at the monster. For example, take public speaking. Most of our fear talking to a crowd, but really, what is the worst that could happen? Maybe we should all just royally fuck up one day. Seeing that things don't go that bad, we could relieve a lot of anxiety. The thing with public speaking though, is that it's hard to purposely screw up. You only look really bad when you look really nervous, when you show the world that anxiety has defeated you. If you go into a presentation not giving a fuck, you really can't look bad. Even if you 100% fail at accomplishing your objectives for the presentation, you still look too cool for school. You look better than everyone else because you don't give a fuck. People who don't give a fuck are cool....fucking cool.

...but I wasn't done philosophizing at this point.

There is some freeway construction going on in Saskatoon. One section of it is particularly retarded, and one of my customers pointed out that it most-assuredly to cause a drunk driver to drive down the wrong side of the street and cause an accident. While he said this, I began to recall the increase in major accidents on that road the last couple weeks, and saw that he was on to something....and my brain posed the question: Who is to blame?

On one hand, you have drunk drivers who are breaking laws and acting like retards. Surely, it doesn't matter what the road is designed like, they will have a chance of doing something and hurting someone or themself. On the other hand, you have someone who designed a road where these drunk drivers are surely to be more likely to get into an accident. Should this engineer be morally responsible for not making it a little more safe? Yes, they have made it safe by normal standards, and anyone driving legally should be fine....but we know these drunk drivers exist, Should be put soft padding on all the sharp edges of the world to account for that one stupid kid who always runs into stuff?

At the same time, is it irresponsible to account for these stupid children? In that way, we are acknowledging them and encouraging them by creating a world where they can run into more stuff.

This thought process never completed itself. Instead, some idiot drunk jumped into my cab, switched the radio and started fist-pumping like a madman all the way to the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment