Saturday, November 20, 2010

No, You Can't Pay In Nachos

As a cabbie, I'm learning a lot about people, so when an incoherent young male enters my cab, gives rough directions and eats nachos the whole way there, I know to be suspicious. After going on a long trip through the city we eventually get to his house (tip off: we took a longer route and he didn't care) So, as we're pulling up I take off my glasses, unbuckle my seatbelt, and I'm ready to go. Sure enough, the cab stops and he just gets out without paying. Fortunately, he's not a runner. He tries to give me a fistbump, offers me some nachos, and tries to just walk away. He leaves some fajita-type things in my cab. I grab the food, get out, toss the food high in the air and tell him he needs to pay up. He seems surprised that I actually got out of the cab, he has evidently done this before. So, I grab him by the shirt, turn him around, and take his wallet. I take out the fare, plus a $5 tip which I decided he wanted to give me for the inconvenience, and told him to have a nice day. This little incident boosted my energy for a little while. I was disappointed that it was so easy but was glad to get money from a skipper.

My next fare was a young couple coming from the Scuz. The male was a drunk asshole and the girl was a hopeless dependent. She was way too good for her and he treated her like garbage. She kept calling him cute and funny. While saying good things about him, she was half-laughing and half-crying and every once in a while fell into a cry about him ditching her and being with other chicks. They've been going out for two and a half years, I hope she dumps him. They stopped at McDonald's and I got a cheeseburger out of it.

I ended up back at the Scuz and ended up picking up two guys I went to high school with. I've picked up people I've gone or still go to school with, but these guys were actually good friends of mine in high school. We never talked after high school and they seemed really surprised to see me. I felt kind of stupid being a cab driver, but I made sure to point out where I was in school so they didn't think I completely bombed in life.

Last trip of the night involved me losing my drive-thru virginity. I got a decent tip out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment