Saturday, January 29, 2011

Spacial Discrimination

Tonight at the Scuz one member of the drinking population experienced some spacial discrimination. He asked a cab driver if he could be taken to the West Side, and the driver responded by saying he wanted the money up-front. Since he wanted to pay by debit, the driver refused. My taxi was sitting right behind where this was happening, so naturally the young inebriated fellow came to my window. Me being too nice for my own profession, I welcomed him into my cab. As it turns out, he's a drug dealer...but a nice drug dealer. Him and his friend invited me in for a smoke, but I declined. Upon hearing that I was a business student, he demanded that I open a Taco Bell on the West Side. Apparently, everyone's get-rich-quick scheme on the west side is to open as Taco Bell. He also demanded that he get 50% off whenever he came into said Taco Bell. I responded by saying that if I ever opened a Taco Bell he could come it for free whenever he wanted.

Repeat Customer No. 1
I dropped some random guys off at the Copper Mug and then later in the evening I picked the same people up. They asked if I was their cab driver earlier in the evening. I asked them if their cab driver was young and white. They responded in the affirmative. I then said that must have been their cab driver earlier as there are no other young white cab drivers in the city.

Repeat Customer No. 2
Three ladies rode in my cab across the city. I quickly found out that they were commerce students at the U of S and we struck up a conversation. When dropping them off I gave out my number, as I am wont to a couple times every shift. I was surprised though when they actually called me back. They were nice, we stopped at Subway and got a bite to eat, which I didn't mind because it was after 3:30 and I never really get any calls after that. They said they would call me again some other weekend. I doubt it. Perhaps I will see them in school one day. If I do, I will say nothing. Worlds must not collide.

I continue to think of my job as a video game, and I started to wonder what kind of cheats this game would have it actually existed. This line of thought eventually led to me wondering what the best superpower would be for a cabbie. I decided that the ability to see the future would be best....either that or completely horrible. Just when they're about to call, Carson rolls up in the Caravan. They ask if someone else called a cab already. I say 'Not yet they haven't, I'm just a super-cabbie'.

...some engineers from Calgary were quite upset when they found out that Saskatoon did not have strip clubs. For some reason that cab ride ended with me recommending them that they go to 302.

No comments:

Post a Comment